Saturday, January 2, 2010

Things You Might Be Surprised to Know About Me

A lot of personal blogs are very, well … very personal. I do enjoy using this space to air my opinions or to share my experiences in general activities such as singing and birding, but I try not to write much about myself personally. But to start off the New Year, I thought I’d share a few things that some of you might be surprised to know about me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have climbed Mount Washington. Yes, on foot. Yes, all of it.

I think Stevie Ray Vaughan is a genius and perhaps one of the most virtuosic musical performers in recorded history. If you don’t know who he is, find out. Listen. Watch a video. This is visceral musicianship at a level higher than most of us can even imagine.

I’m the eighth of nine children.

When I need to clear my mind, I play Bach fugues on the wonderful piano that was my mother’s. I play Bach pretty well.

I grew up on a farm and loved it. I won a blue ribbon with my favorite hen at the 4-H fair when I was about eleven years old.

I'm a published poet. Sonnets.

I’m really more shy than you might think. For example, at the top of this post, I was going to share why I posted this list, but I changed my mind. Too revealing.

I love the Beatles.

I enjoy driving very, very fast. (I mean very, very quickly, of course, but “fast” sounds better in this context.) My favorite car ever was the fast, fast, fast 1972 Datsun 240Z that D and I had when we were married in 1982. Dark green two-seater, black leather, five-speed, look out.

Oh, I also won a blue ribbon at a different town fair for a killer chocolate cake that I made. (I was about 16.)

Most of the time, I want to be in Maine. With D and K.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, I enjoyed reading about you! I also like driving "very, very fast!" Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad you occasionally consent to come to Oak Point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess everyone has a favorite place to be. Similar to your experience at Oak Point, I've been loving the Maine coast since I was a little girl. Maybe sometime you will go to Maine, too, and experience another wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.