Saturday, October 22, 2011

Last Looks


A few weeks ago I wrote about an important piece of habitat in my town that is going to be developed, and about the many important birds that would be affected by this loss.

I visited the area for just a few minutes today to take a few photos to remember it by. I don’t think I’ll be going there much any more. It’s just too sad, and with so many other burdens in my life right now, I just can’t bear it.


There were a lot of hunters in the area with their dogs, especially at the other end of the meadow where the ducks and geese were feeding in the corn stubble, so I didn’t venture in. But I sat for a few minutes, just looking and remembering and appreciating the quiet beauty of this place. The meadow was busy with sparrows, and I think I saw a lingering bobolink. A Cooper’s Hawk patrolled the margin between meadow and woods.


By this time next year, the area will be the site of an industrial building and parking lots. Traffic is expected from several neighboring towns.


Is it coincidence that I have seen Golden Eagles here two years in a row, or is there perhaps something special about this area? How about the Grasshopper Sparrows, Bobolinks, Vesper Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows? American Kestrels, Northern Harrier, Peregrine, American Golden-plover? Rough-legged Hawk, Short-eared Owl? American Pipits? Snow Geese? Northern Pintail, Shoveler?


Nah, it’s just another flat piece of land. Cover it with asphalt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.