Sunday, November 20, 2011

“That Perfect, Ineffable Moment”


This morning I’m spending a few minutes with my music for CONCORA’s upcoming concert, “Christmas Through the Ages.” I had flagged a few musical spots that needed some extra attention, and I also took some time to tidy up the music and be sure that it is all ready for the next rehearsal. I had a few anxious moments when I couldn’t find my pies, but there they were, right where they belonged. (You’ll have to come to the concert to find out what that means!)


Our rehearsals this weekend – the first two of four – were thrilling: musically and vocally satisfying, efficient and productive, and rich with many, many beautiful moments.

It’s interesting…I can recall those beautiful moments clearly, but only to a degree. I know which selections produced in me a frisson of delight, or a surge of tenderness, or the physical awareness of complete unity with the voices of the people around me.

But though I can recall those moments, even my clear memory cannot replicate the feelings and the physical sensations that I experienced when I was, with my fellow singers, in the midst of those momets. As I wrote in response to a blog posting at ChoralNet, some time ago:

“The perfect moment in music is fleeting... and it's that fleeting moment of beautiful perfection that we seek. Perhaps that's why ensemble music-making (choral or instrumental) is so important to so many of us, for when we reach that moment in concert with others, we can find affirmation in our shared experience. Perhaps it's the very ephemeral nature of it, its elusiveness, that makes it so alluring. We are drawn again and again to seek that perfect, ineffable moment.”
(http://www.choralnet.org/view/243854#243965)

Come hear CONCORA sing this remarkably beautiful program. You will be rewarded with one perfect, ineffable moment after another. I promise you that you will be moved, enriched, uplifted, and fulfilled.

***********************************

More of my essays on the life of a chorister, and more about choral rehearsals and choral music, may be found here: http://quodlibet-sarah.blogspot.com/search/label/Chorister


CONCORA
“Christmas Through the Ages”
THREE PERFORMANCES!

More information about these concerts may be had by contacting the CONCORA office at 860.293.0567 (online at http://www.concora.org/ or contact@concora.org). I’ve included a listing of the entire program at earlier posts about this concert; click on "CONCORA Christmas" in the subject list below to the right.

Sunday, December11, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
Center Church, 60 Gold Street, Hartford, Connecticut
Snow date: Monday, December 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Directions: http://www.centerchurchhartford.org/contact/directions.html

Friday, December 16, 8:00 p.m.
Hampton Congregational Church, 163 Main Street, Hampton, Connecticut
Presented by the Hampton Recreation Commission
$10 admission, accompanied children free; reservations recommended
Directions: http://hamptonucc.org/

Thursday, December 22, 8:00 p.m.
Infinity Music Hall & Bistro, Route 44, Norfolk, Connecticut
Information, Tickets, and Directions: http://www.infinityhall.com/ or 866-666-6306

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.