Saturday, December 31, 2011

“The Old Year is Past and the New Year is Come”

.
Here is a favorite New Year’s toast:

A Happy New Year

The old year is past and the New Year is come,
And all the jolly soldiers are a beating on the drum.
So and I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Here's a health to you in water― I wish it was in wine!
And all the money you have got I'm sure it's none of mine.
So and I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Here's a health unto our Master and Missus likewise,
And all the pretty family around the fireside!
So and I wish you all a Happy New Year.

We wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Your pockets full of money and your barrels full of beer!
So and I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Collected by Cecil Sharp from Frederick Grossman of Langport in Somerset in 1909 [#368B, p. 506 in Vol. II of Cecil Sharp's Collection of English Folk Songs, Maud Karpeles (Ed.), Oxford University Press, 1974].  More information about Nowell Sing We Clear: http://www.nowellsingweclear.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.