Monday, February 11, 2013

Scenes from a Blizzard

Scenes from the blizzard that overspread Southern New England Friday and Saturday.

Friday February 8

Snow fell all day long. Gusting winds filled the air with white coldness. Cold whiteness.

More photos:

The birds had a hard time in the wind and blowing snow.

The little screech owl is very hardy. It sat in its high knot-hole throughout the storm. Snow gathered on its head. This photo was taken around noontime.

The cardinals tucked themselves into the wisteria.

Friday evening and night

By 9:30 pm the snow was really coming down:

The spotlight that usually shines on our door was buried. For a while it cast an eerie light from beneath the snow, then it disappeared altogether as the snow became deeper.

By midnight, twelve hours after the storm began, about 14 inches of snow had fallen:

But much more would fall during the next six hours.

It became very windy during the night. We were lucky not to lose power.

Saturday February 9

When we woke up on Saturday morning, the snow was still falling, though it was tapering off.  At least 14 more inches of snow had fallen while we slept.

This is the little table shown in the first yellowish photo above, now completely obscured. A junco waits for us to put out seed. The underside of the deck rail is about 36" high, giving some indication of the depth of the snow: around 30 inches.

We opened the front door very carefully. The wind had packed the snow in very nicely; this wall of snow was very sturdy, though the snow was dry.

Another view of the full deck:

The rhododendrons were wearing tall white caps:

D worked all day clearing snow. By all day I mean from 8:30am to about 7:00 pm, with a brief break for lunch (homemade minestrone and focaccia). He started with the deck, so we could feed the birds more easily. (That was thoughtful.)

Our deck furniture was buried.

After D made a first pass with the snowblower on the driveway, we got out the measuring tape:

This says 27.75 inches, but this was taken after a lot of blowing and settling. We probably got 29-30 inches. Not bad.

As the snow tapered off, the birds thronged the feeders. They had fed during the snow, too, but once the wind died down and the sun came out, they could forage more comfortable, and more safely.



The evening shadows were so lovely on the new snow.

Sunday February 10

D spent at least half the day clearing more snow, with particular attention paid to the roof. Rain is expected tomorrow; the masses of snow will become saturated and very dangerous. Though we aren't at risk of a collapse, we've had some problems with leaks in certain areas of the roof, particularly when snow has not been cleared away. D also pulled snow off the roof immediately above the gutters, using a long-handled snow rake. This will help to prevent destructive ice dams.

Sunday was a gorgeous blue, white, silver, grey day. Much beauty to enjoy.

 The evening shadows...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.