Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dupré: The Haymakers


D and I have been enjoying explorations of the many fine art museums in our area. I enjoy taking photos (only where permitted) to document my experience with certain works of art that move and delight me. The photo series also show how I tend to experience art, starting with a wide perspective, then focusing in on layers and details. I always read the museum placards, and photograph them, too.

Since I have a fine collection of these photo essays, I'll post some of them here. The accompanying texts are copied from my photos of the placards. 

Several weeks ago, we visited the Worcester Art Museum for the first time; it's a lovely building with a very good collection. Recommended. 

This painting by Julien Dupré really captured my imagination:

Dupré, Julien (French, 1851-1910)
The Haymakers, 1886
Oil on Canvas
Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, Massachusetts
Photos © Quodlibet 2013

Julien Dupré represents a second generation of nineteenth-century French artists who focus on peasant life, continuing a tradition begun by Millet and Breton. This painting, which represents one of Dupré’s favorite subjects, attests to the popular bourgeois sentiment that the rural countryside was a world of enduring virtue and bucolic peacefulness. Such images had special meaning as Europe was becoming the world’s leading industrial and urban society. ―Worcester Art Museum
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.