Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fragonard: The Return of the Drove


D and I have been enjoying explorations of the many fine art museums in our area. I enjoy taking photos (only where permitted) to document my experience with certain works of art that move and delight me. The photo series also show how I tend to experience art, starting with a wide perspective, then focusing in on layers and details. I always read the museum placards, and photograph them, too.

Since I have a fine collection of these photo essays, I'll post some of them here. The accompanying texts are copied from my photos of the placards. 

On a recent visit to the Worcester Art Museum, I was delighted to find a work by one of my favorite artists, French painter Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1732-1806). This painting, The Return of the Drove, inspires all sorts of memories of my farm childhood, but beyond that, it is a work full of stories.  Take a closer look:



 



  






Isn't that wonderful?

From the museum’s placard:

THE RETURN OF THE DROVE
Jean-Honoré Fragonard
French, 1732-1806

Fragonard easily ranks as one of the foremost painters of eighteenth-century France. His precocious talent was developed by study in Paris under Chardin and Boucher, and by a stay in Rome from 1755 until 1761. He succeeded Boucher as official court painter to Louis XVI, and achieved great popularity with his spontaneous and lighthearted style.

The charming subject matter of this painting is typical of pre-Revolutionary French painting. Gay and untroubled, its appeal to the senses is immediate, yet Fragonard manages to avoid the sentimentality which often pervades the idyllic genre scenes of the time.

Photographs ©2013 by Quodlibet. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.