Monday, March 3, 2014

The Morning After

This little essay is going to sound like a rant, and to some extent, it is. But more than that, it’s a question: Why?

OK, two questions.

Am I the only one?

After you’ve had overnight guests, you have to clean up after them, right? In most cases (because we have nice, civilized friends), there’s not so much cleaning involved as there is restoring the guest room and guest bath to readiness.

Now, what’s the main task required to restore the guest room? Preparing the beds, right? And that means clean bed linens. Right? Right?

I’m beginning to think that I’m the only person who removes used linens from guest beds and replaces them with fresh. Because so often after our overnight guests have departed and I head upstairs to clean up, I find that they have made the beds, tucking them in and making them oh, so neat. It looks great, but it is not helpful. It actually creates more work for me, since I have to undo those beds to get the used linens off! And if a guest has been particularly rigorous about tucking in the sheets and blankets tightly, then that’s pretty hard on my back.  And when they mix up the used pillows with those that they have not used, well of course I have to remove all those pillowcases and wash them all.

Why do guests do this?? If they would think for about two seconds, they’d realize that when they make the bed, I have to unmake it. Why not leave the beds unmade? Or why not at least ask me what I’d like done with the linens?

One guest always strips the beds, which is helpful. But it’s not always helpful when she dumps it on the kitchen floor, or brings it all to the laundry room and crams it into the washer. (No, you may not combine white sheets with navy towels!)

One particularly annoying guest (a family member, so it’s OK for me to say “annoying”) had the really annoying habit of taking ALL the linens, including sheets, pillowcases, AND the wet and dirty towels, bathmat, etc. from the bathroom, and stuffing them into a single pillowcase. There was always more than could fit easily into a single pillowcase, but he’d cram it in as tightly as he could. It was a difficult and unpleasant job for me to try to get those dirty, wet linens out of the case. He continued to do this, even after I asked him specifically NOT to do it, after he split the seam on one of my best pillowcases.


Well, this whole issue might seem inconsequential, and in the big scheme of things, it is. 

But it just leaves me wondering.

Why do they do that?

and

Am I the only one who puts fresh linens on the guest beds the morning after the guests leave?

And that raises another question (oh, dear) –

When I am an overnight guest in their house, are those linens on the guest beds clean? Or… not?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.