Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Listen to the Mockingbird


The other day I was “out and about” – that is, looking at birds – on my way home from a meeting. I stopped in at a local cemetery that has a good variety of habitat, everything from lawns and shrubbery to riparian and wooded areas. It being a warm and pleasant day, I had the car window down, and was delighted to hear one of my favorite songsters:


It’s a Northern Mockingbird, which, despite its name, has only recently expanded its range to the northern parts of the continent. (It’s called “Northern: to distinguish it from other mockers that live far to the south.)

This bird was atop a shrub right next to the road, and kept singing as I watched.

The mockingbird is perfectly named, for its song comprises imitations of other birds, usually those that also live in the area. While I sat and watched this one, it mimicked a Song Sparrow, Flicker, Robin, White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Jay, Belted Kingfisher, and a few others. I tried to catch a video clip, but it flew off just as I switched from photo to video mode. Perhaps I’ll try to get back there for some sound clips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.